My closet is a hot mess! Why you might ask? It is bulging at the seams with race shirts. In 2015 I ran 9 marathons, 2 ultra marathons, 3 half marathons, & a 50 mile team relay…to say I’ve collected a few t-shirts along the way is an understatement. Don’t event get me started on the 8 other years that I have been running and collecting shirts. So when race directors get creative I am thrilled and my bending shelves are grateful.
I will be very forthcoming I don’t run races for the swag or for the bling. I enter events for the challenge and experience, but unique items are perk that I feel deserves a mention and something that many runners pay attention to. Which sent me on a quest to see if there are races that will be offering runners an alternative to the typical t-shirt…RD’s listen up we NOTICE and appreciate when you think outside the box.
Here are a few Wisconsin races that I discovered offering creative swag:
- Milwaukee Running Festival – Runners that signed up by 1/31 (Early Bird) they will receive a custom pint glass at the race expo November 5th.
- Trailbreaker Marathon – Runners registering after 3/13 will receive a thermal mug instead of a technical t-shirt. (I’m actually waiting to sign up to get this…I love a good coffee mug.)
- Titletown Ultra Series (Summer Solstice Challenge) – Runner will receive a custom buff at packet pick up and a 1/4 zip long sleeve shirt. The awards for top 3 finishers in each event are also something special! Last year they were made my a local artist and beautiful.
- Hot, Hairy, & Hilly Ultra – Runners in the solo events will receive a custom made tiara/crown to sport on the course during the race or during the celebratory party after.
In researching races I was a little disappointed that I was unable to compiled a longer list offering cool, novel swag. However, I am confident that there are many more races not only in Wisconsin that are out there who provide creative gifts to their participants. So please comment below if you know of other events and I will continually update this post to include them. Hopefully RDs will take notice that runners like and get excited when they think beyond the basic technical t-shirt and surprise us with something special!
#BeKind #BeHappy #BeActive
- Texas Bridge Series – two 10Ks & a half marathon, swag is really great, especially for runners who complete all 3 racest: finisher’s medal for each race, a special medal to represent completing the series (it actually is made to hold the 3 finisher’s medals!), tech shirts for all 3 races and after the half – tech hat, pint glass, lunch box, ice packs, a buff, gloves, and shoe reflectors!